If a flood were to strike your home or business, would you be prepared? Below are some helpful tips to help minimize your loss before the professionals at SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia & Lexington come to the rescue!
WHAT TO DO AFTER A CONTAMINATED WATER DAMAGE:
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
WHAT NOT TO DO AFTER A CONTAMINATED WATER DAMAGE:
- Don’t spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Don’t turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Don’t use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Don’t use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
What to do after A CLEAN water damage:
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
What NOT to do after A CLEAN water damage:
- Don’t enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Don’t enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don’t leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Don’t leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Don’t use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Don’t use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
It’s the water you don’t see that can cause the most damage. Professional restoration is just a phone call or click away.
SERVPRO of Cayce/West Columbia & Lexington (803)-755-9774
The SERVPRO Ready Plan is a tool for property managers and owners, both residential and commercial. It allows for the creation of an Emergency READY Profile containing critical facility information to help speed up response time after fire or water damage.
Learn more about the SERVPRO Ready Plan Mobile App